Finn Turns Two + A Finn Update


My boy is now a big 2 year old. It's surreal really, I feel like he should still be that chubby little 6 month old. Such a cliche mom thing to say but it's true. As I look back, I realize how far Finn has come and I am so proud of him. He has been doing some amazing things lately, I feel so blessed! 

-He is making so many sounds now, I feel like he thinks he's talking and it's so incredible to see. He let's us know when he's mad or irritated, and also when he thinks something is funny. His little noises are hilarious.

-His trunk and head support are so awesome. He can sit up straight with very little support on his bottom half. He loves to be upright and when we recline him back, like on our chest, he immediately pulls himself back upright.

-He is holding and gripping objects for long periods of time. He also loves to hold my finger and pet my arm. Funny boy.

-His eyes look about the same but it seems like he is looking around a lot more. I'll catch him checking out his surroundings, it's brief because his eyes get tired, but he's trying and seems a lot more interested.

-He is still rolling a lot. Still mostly to his left side but he has rolled to his right a few times so we know he can do it, I guess he just prefers the left side. He can now roll onto his stomach which is very exciting!

-Finn used to not mind sitting around at home all day. Now he likes to be on the go and be busy which I love because that means he is getting bored and needs to be stimulated in other ways. He's motivated to do things and see difference places. We've taken him to the Zoo, the Aviary, the park and on lots of walks and he loves it (unless he's tired, then all bets are off).

-THIS IS THE BEST NEWS OF ALL. Finn is standing!!! As of last week he can bear weight on his legs as his back leans against us. This is truly incredible because just a couple months ago he couldn't bear any weight on his legs, now the boy is standing! He stands anywhere from 3-20 seconds which isn't long but is such a remarkable improvement. We've been putting him in his saucer a lot and I think this has helped the muscle strength in his legs immensely! 



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 


Now about Finn's birthday. Last year we were in the middle of our big move, we had a party for him but I don't think we celebrated on his actual birthday... oops. This year he is more aware of what's going on so we wanted to make it super special! The week before his birthday we had a little party for him which included a BBQ, pinata, and the most delicious chocolate cake. Since he and I both love black and white we did none other than a back and white theme. I'm all about pinatas, I think every party isn't complete without a pinata. We even had one at our wedding! The kids loved the whale pinata (in honor of Tilly) and Finn even got a few whacks at it. 

I made the scallop garland from streamers using this easy tutorial. I also made the HOORAY banner and Finn turns two cake topper. I printed them out on glossy photo paper and cut them out. The cake topper was quite the time suck, but I love how it turned out so it was worth it.

Finn loved the cake, he was actually playing in it and tasting it! We sang happy birthday probably 6 or 7 times because each one of the kids was "helping" Finn blow out his candles. I think he appreciate it.




. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Finn's actual birthday was the 21st of April. It was such a perfect day, we don't get a lot of those so we were so grateful. The weather was incredible and Finn was happy all day! I think he knew it was his birthday and was soaking it up. We took him to breakfast at a little diner name Finn's. We stumbled upon this place when we lived downtown and decided we were going to take him there every year for his birthday. The food was yummy and the people are so kind there.

After breakfast we went home for a little nap. Next was the Zoo! If you're going to the Zoo go in the afternoon. It was the perfect time, everyone was leaving as we were just getting there. I think most Zoo goers like to be there in the morning. We saw all the animals and he loved being outside.

For dinner we went up the canyon to Ruth's Diner. It's one of our favorite places to go in the spring and summer because you can eat on the back patio. It's nestled up against the mountian and has the perfect ambiance with live music playing, strings of globe lights above and trees all around. Perfect. He loves going there because, again, the kid is all about the outdoors. The deep fried mac and cheese balls aren't bad either.

On the way home we decided to stop at Build-A-Bear because it seemed like a very birthday-ish activity to do. With the assistance from mom and dad he built a cute little white bear and we named him Huckleberry. We came out of there spending only $12, I thought that should be noted because I think that was the cheapest Build-A-Bear purchase in history.

We then went home, sang one more happy birthday to him and shared his birthday cupcake.

Like I said it was a perfect day and we couldn't be more grateful! Now that Finn is getting older and a little more aware of what's going on we like to make it a point to do activities that a child without special needs would enjoy. For one it gives us a feeling of normality and two I think the more we do do with him, the more Finn can experience and hopefully these experiences will help in his development.

I know I sound like a broken record but I am just so grateful for Finn. Everyday I thank God over and over again for blessing our lives with this little boy. I love him the way he is, I wouldn't dream of changing a thing (sleeping habits I might change a bit). He's a truly remarkable little human being and I love watching people light up when they're around him, he has such a special spirit about him and people can feel that. 

I love you little buddy, happy birthday.




Comments

  1. This is so precious. What a special day as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful party! love to see him's progress. he's an amazing little boy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts