Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Middle of the Night Trip to the ER

Does it ever end?
Probably not right?
We have been very unlucky as of late I guess.
But here's the scoop.
Last night at about 1 in the morning I noticed through the baby monitor Finn was making weird noises.
I just thought he was waking up and needed his pacifier.
 I went into his room and he was making this weird "gasping for air" type noise.
His chest was also making a strange movement that about had me up in a tizzy.
I called Noah into the room and we sat and analyzed the situation for a moment.
We had a hard time getting him to wake up which was also a cause for concern for us.
We then decided to call our ped's office and we talked to the ped on call and decided we should probably take him into the Emergency Room.
So we roll up to Primary Children's Medical Center at around 2 am and Finn was still zonked out and making the strange noises.
They sent us back to one of the rooms and the second we get in there he wakes up all bright eyed and bushy tailed and the gasping noises stop.
They tested his vitals, blood pressure etc. which all looked great and they decided to monitor him for a while.
So we all sat in that room for about an hour just waiting.
Noah and I don't do well in high stress situations which usually leads to arguing.
So he would say something obnoxious to lighten the mood, but I didn't want the mood to be lightened so I snap back with some kind of "just be quiet" kind of remark.
We are fun.

So anyway the doctors and nurses decided he was ok to leave.
They told us sometimes babies just make strange noises especially when they're in a deep sleep which would explain us not being able to wake him up easily. 
So we got home around 4 in the morning, Finn got a little early morning snack and we all went to bed.
He woke up this morning kicking around with a big smile on his face.
I guess this was just one of those first time parent scares.

Talk about an exciting night huh?
We're headed back up to Primary Children's on Friday but that's another story for another day.


  1. dude, i suppose he is just going to have to be the very best teenager for all the stress now! i will remind him of that.

  2. oh my gosh, i would have been so scared too. i am a bit of a hypochondriac...so i'm sure any little thing would send me running to the ER once i have kids. oh, and my hubby and I are totally the same in high stress situations (def not fun). i'm glad he's fine! phew!

  3. Gosh that's the worst! Carson used to get so dozed out when he was a baby and we wouldn't know why we couldn't wake him. Hopefully it was just him being a deep sleeper! That's scary! And I have been reading your blog and you seriously are amazing! Your little family is so cute, and I wish you the best. You are such a great mama! :)

  4. I remember those late night visits to the hospital...not fun. But better to be safe and ease your mind. Now you know for the next time! Glad to hear he's ok and smiley.

  5. What a rough night! I'm glad to hear that there wasn't anything serious going on. Good move going to the ER, though, just in case! And you and your husband sound like me and mine in stressful situations--he freaks out, I try to assure him, he freaks out more and then is OK, and then I freak out. Never-ending cycle. Ha.

  6. oh my you have been through so much already as a mother. praying your life with finn calms down a bit for his sake and yours.

  7. Oh my gosh, that would be SO SO scary. I am dreading anything like this happening to us. I am SO glad he is okay!