If any of you have been curtain and curtain rod shopping you know that it can cost quite the pretty penny. So the husband and I thought we would make them and save a couple bucks.
We made a trip to Lowes and JoAnn's and picked up a few things, here is what we did to create Finn's rustic curtains/rod.
long wooden rod
5 or 6 feet of thick rope
linen fabric (we needed about 8 yards for both windows)
How To Make Curtain Rods
1. Cut the wooden rod to however long your window is.
2. Stain the rod and wooden end.
3. Tie a simple knot in the rope and cut to desired length.
4. Nail rope to the wall where you want the rod to hang.
5. Hang wooden rod from rope and adjust so it hangs straight.
To Make Curtains
1. These curtains are fairly easy to construct. Measure your window and add about a yard or two to that length for the curtains.
2. Decide how long you want your curtains to be and leave a few inches extra at the bottom to hem up.
3. Hem each side leaving about an inch seam allowance. Make sure you do this first, otherwise the top part will be sealed and you can't put the rod through.
4. Now for the top part that hangs from the rod. Fold over a couple inches of fabric and pin. Make sure your rod can fit through with ease. Sew across.
5. Hem up the bottom leaving about an inch or two seam allowance.
6. Slide it on your rod and you've got yourself some curtains.
Not only did this save us some money but it was also fun and I think we appreciate the room more because we made so many of the things ourselves.
Have a lovely weekend!